When you participate as a member-owner of Yelm’s own natural and organic cooperative grocery, you help shape not only the Co-op’s future but Yelm’s future as a community rooted in principles that sustain us all: cooperation among all people and groups, the creation of a sovereign local economy, and the education of our children to become stewards of nature and community.
Benefits of Membership:
- Vote at the annual meeting and make your opinion count. Each member-owner household has one vote.
- Participate in special offers available only to member-owners.
- Enjoy the savings of bulk buying through the Buy Club.
In September 2010, we restructured our membership payment options to make being a member-owner affordable for everyone. Membership is $75 per member-owner, with only one membership required per household. You choose how to pay:
- $5 with Application and $5 monthly installments for 14 months (pay this off sooner by paying more each month)
- $75 paid in full with Application
Ownership funds are the “owner capital” of this business and may be used to:
- purchase equipment
- fund initial staffing expenses
- fund expansion into a new, larger location
- provide the basis for lending institutions to evaluate how much we qualify to borrow for future growth; membership numbers show lending institutions a community’s commitment to the cooperative enterprise.
As we evolve, we will endeavor to bring you the best prices and benefits possible. We are balancing three goals for Yelm Food Co-op:
1) Affordable membership
2) Funding the local Co-op store
3) Expansion into a larger space
Here is a recap of membership status up to 5/31, 2011:
495 Fully Paid
301 Partial Paid
Yelm Food Co-op Board